Effective 25th May 2018
- 1. GENERAL PRINCIPLES
- 1.1.1. visit our website;
- 1.1.2. visit our social media pages;
- 1.1.3. subscribe to our email newsletters;
- 1.1.4. make donations;
- 1.1.5. contact us via email or post; and
- 1.1.6. attend events we host.
- 2. PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
- 2.1. When you engage with IRIN through any of the activities in paragraph 1.1 above, we may collect personal information about you that you submit to us such as your name, personal address, email address, professional affiliation and, in the case of a job application, your curriculum vitae.
- 2.2. When you engage with IRIN, through our website in particular, we also collect personal information about you such as your email address, IP address, computer operating system type, browser type, browser language, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access times and information about your use of and actions on our website.
- 3. WHY WE COLLECT YOUR DATA
- 3.1. We use personal data that we collect through your use of our website to make the functionalities of our website available to you, and the data we collect from newsletter subscriptions to send you our newsletters.
- 3.2. We also use data to compile statistical information about use of our website or our dedicated pages on social media, monitor site traffic and produce aggregate audience insights that do not identify you personally. This helps us improve our services, provide tailored content, and ultimately provide you a better user experience. The value of collecting this data is further explained in section 4 below.
- 3.3. We retain your personal data as long as is required to continue to provide you services, such as access to and use of our website, our dedicated pages on social media, and our newsletter.
- 3.4. In addition to the above, we retain personal data for the length of time required to meet legal and accounting requirements.
- 4. HOW WE COLLECT YOUR DATA
- 4.1. We use the following methods to collect data:
- 4.1.1. Cookies: We use simple text files called cookies that are installed on your device to remember and store information about how you use the website. You may delete and block all cookies, or just certain types of cookies, via your browser settings. However, if you choose to block or delete cookies, this may affect the functionality of our website.
- 4.1.2. Analytics tools: We use analytic tools, such as such as Google Analytics and Chartbeat, to track the characteristics and activities of visitors to our website. More information about the ways in which Google Analytics collects and processes your personal data can be found at: www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
- 4.1.3. Web beacons: We include web beacons in our newsletter email messages to determine whether an email is opened or if links are clicked. We also use web beacons to deliver interest-based advertising from Google advertising partners.
- 4.1.4. Newsletter: We use MailChimp to collect and manage email marketing subscriber lists and send emails to our subscribers.
- 4.1.5. Social media buttons: We integrate social media buttons on our articles to allow sharing and/or commenting on these articles. These service providers may therefore receive data from our website that concern you, such as log data that includes the web page you visited. You can review the privacy policies of these social media companies on their websites.
- 5. HOW WE STORE AND SHARE YOUR DATA
- 5.1. We may store your data using the cloud-based information technology services of 3rd party providers. such as Dropbox, Google Drive and Linode.
- 5.3. In particular, our third-party providers in Switzerland and the European Union must abide by the European General Data Protection Regulation.
- 5.4. Our third-party providers in the USA must abide by the Swiss-US and/or EU-US Privacy Shield frameworks, which require them to provide protections equivalent to the standards of Switzerland and the EU.
- 5.6. In exceptional cases, we may share your personal data with authorities upon their request, for law enforcement purposes.
- 5.7. Personal data of users of our social media pages is also subject to the privacy policies of the operators of the social media platforms.
- 6. HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
- 6.1. We exercise reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized exposure or disclosure of your personal data, including use of strong password controls by our staff.
- 6.2. In the event of a data breach, or in the event that we suspect a data breach, we will
- 6.2.1. notify the competent authorities in accordance with applicable law,
- 6.2.2. make best efforts to promptly notify you, where technically feasible, and
- 6.2.3. cooperate with you to investigate and resolve the data breach in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
- 7. YOUR RIGHTS
- 7.1. We recognize that you have rights under Swiss, EU or other laws concerning your personal data.
- 7.2. In particular, upon written request, you have the right to a copy of the personal data that we hold on you. Furthermore, you have the right to have any inaccurate information about you corrected or removed, to put further restrictions on the purposes for which we hold your personal data, as well as to have some or all of the personal data about you erased.
- 7.3. All such requests should be made by email to our Data Protection Officer at [email protected]. We aim to respond to any request concerning your rights as promptly as possible and within the requirements of any applicable law.
- 8. UPDATES TO THIS POLICY
- 8.2. The updated version will become effective on the date it is posted, which will be listed at the top of the page as the new effective date.
- Any further questions concerning this policy should be addressed to:
- Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Rue de Varembé 3
- Email: [email protected]