IRIN is one of the world's leading sources of original, field-based reporting and analysis about humanitarian crises.
We put quality independent journalism at the service of the most vulnerable people on earth.
With specialised editors and a network of more than 200 local correspondents, we report from the frontlines of hotspots around the world to drive more effective and accountable responses to those in need.
Support our work today
Your support helps us deliver informative, accessible, independent journalism that you can trust and provides accountability to the millions of people affected by crises worldwide.
“In any humanitarian emergency, information is key. IRIN keeps the need for effective humanitarian action high on the political and policy agenda.”
Kofi Annan, former United Nations Secretary-General
Why support IRIN?
Our trusted reporting leads to concrete action: it has prompted public petitions, donations, new aid programmes, debates in parliament and changes in policy.
Through a network of more than 200 local correspondents, a core staff of experienced editors and analysts, and an intimate knowledge of the humanitarian sector, IRIN provides unique multimedia news and analysis from hotspots in more than 70 countries. We cover Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and beyond, through a range of themes – conflict, natural disasters, refugees, migration, health, education, climate change, and aid policy.
Born out of the UN, our new independent non-profit status helps us cast a more critical eye over the growing multi-billion humanitarian sector. Few other media report accurately and consistently on the humanitarian sector, and none are solely dedicated to it as we have been for more than 20 years.
Your donation helps...
- Encourage accountability and transparency in the humanitarian sector so that it better meets the needs of those it aims to serve
- Amplify the voices of those living through crises
- Provide opportunities for local journalists in countries where freedom of the press is suppressed
- Recognise the value of investigative, innovative, fact-based reporting that is independent of vested interests
- Build a global community of people who believe in quality journalism.
How we achieve change...
- Better decision-making: Policy-makers who design programs and allocate resources for crisis prevention, resilience and response can make better decisions with real-time information about changing needs that is independent of partisan interests.
- Accountability and transparency: IRIN highlights best practice, exposes malpractice, and critically examines failed responses, conflicts of interest and financial corruption, so that relevant humanitarian actors learn lessons and change policies accordingly.
- Greater awareness: Through media partnerships, IRIN raises awareness and understanding among the general public, which can pressure political elites to act, increase international solidarity and promote citizen engagement.
Our award winning work has been recognized by...
- The Webby Awards
- Amnesty International Media Awards
- Prix Bayeux-Calvados
- Humanitarian Development and Journalism award
- one world media